Victoria, Celebrating 25 Years of Service.
Parkinson’s Victoria was established in 1981 by four
visionary women who were themselves diagnosed with Parkinson’s.
They provided information and mutual support to people with
Parkinson’s and their families.
Twenty five years
later, Parkinson’s Victoria is a statewide specialist
agency providing services for people with Parkinson’s,
their families and carers, with over forty support groups
- Toll Free information Line - 1800 644 189
- Specialist Library Service providing books, journal
articles, DVD’s and videos
- Information Kits
- Quarterly Newsletter
- Regular programmes televised on Channel 31
- Weekly Programme broadcast on 1179 3RPH and networked
- Parkinson’s Victoria Website - www.parkinsonsvic.org.au
- Help Finder Website - http://www.parkinsonsvic.org.au/help-finder/
Parkinson's Victoria Service brochure
- Specialist Parkinson’s Health Professional’s
are available to discuss your needs
- Over 40 Support Groups throughout Victoria provide friendship,
mutual support and information. Meetings may include practical
tips and advice, group discussions, social outings and
education sessions from health professionals.
- Seminars for Recently Diagnosed
- Education sessions on symptom management
- Resources for Carers and Families
- In service education workshops provided to health professionals
in accommodation facilities, respite, and health services
to improve their understanding of Parkinson’s and
caring for people with Parkinson’s
- We recently hosted the Asian Pacific Conference on Parkinson’s,
with delegates participating from 13 countries.
As the peak statewide agency, we represent the needs and
interests of people with Parkinson’s to all levels
of government, seeking improved funding for services, research
and awareness. We are also represented on the national peak
body, Parkinson’s Australia, and network as a member
of peak neurological service organizations in Australia.
We provide information and advice on accessible services,
provided where possible in your local community, and relevant
to your specific needs
Parkinson’s Victoria partners with and supports major
Victorian Universities and Research Institutes in both pure
and applied research. Recent projects have been with the
Michael J Fox Foundation, the Brain Bank, Swinburne, Deakin
and Monash Universities.
Improving the communities understanding of Parkinson’s
is a priority. We regularly promote Parkinson’s awareness
via the media and through fundraising initiatives, particularly
during Parkinson’s Awareness Week and International