Dylan Hardy’s seven tips for Christmas
Dec. 02, 2016
The hero of our Christmas Appeal, Dylan Hardy, has put together his favourite Parkinson's Victoria tips on how to enjoy the festive season.
“Here are some tips I’ve picked up from Parkinson’s Victoria on ways to pace myself so that I can enjoy every moment of this festive season.” Dylan Hardy
- Managing your energy both physically and mentally at this time of year is important. Plan ahead, start early and take one step at a time.
- For some, this time of year can be difficult emotionally. Do what you can to stay connected - a card, a call or a conversation.
- Maintain your exercise program. Do what you can, pace yourself and stay hydrated.
- Food at Christmas is often rich and complex. It may affect your medication uptake and increase fatigue. Be mindful and cautious with food choices.
- Routines may change so plan when to take your medications and seek advice from Parkinson’s Victoria if you are unsure.
- Don’t apologise for being who you are and the needs you have. Let people know what you need to make it special for you too.
- Be joyous this festive season. Enjoy Christmas carols and sing your heart out!