Each year, Parkinson's Victoria recognises the significant contribution volunteers make in supporting people living with Parkinson's and their families.
The Parkinson's community has been built on the invaluable contributions of volunteers, who have offered their time, insight and experience to inspire and support others. Our annual Volunteer Recognition Awards recognise the contribution of individuals and groups, years of service and outstanding contributions to the Parkinson's community.
The 2018 Award recipients were announced at the Parkinson's Victoria Annual General Meeting in November.
Sir Zelman Cowen Award
Parkinson's Victoria's highest honour, the Sir Zelman Cowen Award is presented to an individual in recognition of their invaluable voluntary contribution to the Parkinson’s community. In 2006, Sir Zelman Cowen generously gave permission for an award to be presented in his name, allowing Parkinson’s Victoria the honour of recognising his outstanding community service and support for people living with Parkinson’s.
Andrew Suggett was awarded the Sir Zelman Cowen Award for 2018 at Parkinson’s Victoria’s Annual General Meeting in November 2018. Read more about Andrew's outstanding work to support people living with Parkinson's in Warrnambool and South West Victoria.
Community Recognition Award:
Recognises the significant contribution of an individual or an organisation to events or activities.
- Geoff Constable – A Walk in the Park Ambassador, media spokesperson, fundraiser and regular speaker at Recently Diagnosed Seminars
- Kim Goodridge – major community event coordinator and A Walk in the Park fundraiser 2015-2018, raising $57,000 across the last two walks
- Shane Jacobson – A Walk in the Park media ambassador for the past 10 years.
Five and Ten Year Service Awards
Acknowledges the continuous service of volunteers in an administrative, project or service capacity, particularly those coordinating a Peer Support Group.
15 Year Service Awards
- Elaine Maberly – Ballarat Support Group
- Ray McClusky – Ballarat Support Group
- Margot Adams – Ballarat Support Group
- Edith Weaver – Essendon Support Group
10 Year Service Awards
- Gordon Townsend – Essendon Support Group
- Ingrid Camille – Eltham Support Group
5 year Service Awards
- Anne Simpson – Eltham Support Group
- Clarrie & Hwa O’Brien – Essendon Support Group
- Nu & Vien Lieu – Essendon Support Group
- Sue & Franz Schnellman – Essendon Support Group
- Robert & Sharyn Mains – Essendon Support Group
- Jenny & John Wilson – Bentleigh Bayside Support Group
- Mike Atkinson
Certificate of Appreciation
Recognises the contribution of an individual or organisation to an event or activity in the community to support and/or raise awareness of Parkinson's in Victoria.
- Kirsten George – organiser of the 2018 inaugural Geelong A Walk in the Park.
- Adam Conrad – Parkinson’s Victoria Board Director, 2012-2018.
Honorary Life Membership
This award recognises outstanding services for a period of at least 15 years (no awards were presented in this category in 2018).
For more information about the Application process contact:
- Parkinson’s Victoria on (03) 8809 0400
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org